Here are some other possibilities for road trips this coming year.
1) Another Relay? The Reno-to-Tahoe relay was one of the highlights of the year. While it was a coordination challenge, everything worked out well and several of us enjoyed a few extra days in beautiful Lake Tahoe. Anyone interested in doing another relay? Here are some possibilities:
- Wild West Relay (http://www.wildwestrelay.com/)- 195 miles from Fort Collins to Steamboat Springs, CO scheduled for Aug. 1-2, 2008. A few days in Steamboat Springs afterward would be very refreshing coming from Houston in the summer.
- Green Mountain Relay (http://www.greenmountainrelay.com/)- 200 miles from Jefferson to Bennington, VT scheduled for June 21-22, 2008. Run during the summer solstice. Vermont is a beautiful state.
- Reach the Beach Relay (http://www.rtbrelay.com/)- 200 miles from Franconia to Hampton Beach, NH scheduled September 12-13, 2008. Should see a touch of fall in New England.
This is a sampling of potential relays. I would be curious in your feedback.
2) Another International Marathon? We've had a trip in each of the last two years going to Greece in 2006 and Dublin this past October. Should we plan a trip for 2008 or wait until 2009? I will toss around a few suggestions:
- Exotic Location- We have been to many marathons in Europe including Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland and Austria. It is time to go somewhere more exotic? Here are some suggestions for an exotic marathon:
- Greenland- There are two marathons scheduled for Greenland describing running in along water with icebergs floating (at least for now) and across beautiful terrain. http://www.greenland.com/content/english/tourist/activities/sport_events/nuuk_maratho
- Mongolia- It doesn't get more exotic and they have a marathon and ultra in July through a national park. You will stay in gers (felt tents) while in the region, but reviews of the race and the trip are extremely positive.
Mt. Kilimanjaro- http://www.mtkilimanjaromarathon.com/ June 22, at the home base of world class long distance runners, this is a four loop course and an opportunity to add a safari or a climb of the highest peak in Africa.
- Traditional Location- probably not my preference, but I found one scenario that could be fun and that is the Berlin Marathon Sept. 30. There are couple of reasons this could be compelling:
- Good possibility you will run the marathon at the same time a world record is approached or broken. This is a fast course on which the world record has been set on a couple of occasions, the most recent being last September
- The marathon is right in the middle of Octoberfest which ends October 5th in 2008. Imagine running the marathon and spending the following week touring Germany during Octoberfest.
So, now it is up to you to comment. I would like to gauge the interest level of any of these events.